Tuesday, November 07, 2006

Mondays at the Hoy

Well it's Tuesday in Hammer Land, and that means we can review what happened in Mondays at the Hoy last night. The MATH drew its usual crowd, 18 participants yesterday in the battle for the $20 buyins. I was hot and cold early, winning a few pots with selected raises and reraises and a few good starting hands (I believe I had pocket Aces early on in the tournament, something that is not very usual for me in these tournaments), and I also gave some of that back, mostly on hands where I raised or called a raise preflop but then had to lay it down to some aggression on the flop from one of my opponents. A couple of well-timed bluffs and a nice call against xkm early at the final table got me to the final 5 players, with only the top 3 spots paying out the cash. Near the bottom in chip stacks, I was able to use a couple of well-timed blind steals and resteals to chip up near the top 2 stacks, leaving Nomad1539 in a fairly distant 4th place as we all tried to avoid bubbling out of the event. I wanted to avoid the bubble most of all, having bubbled the Hoy last week already when my allin push with AJ preflop from the button was met with Newin's highly unlikely AK, and I was not about to let that happen to me for the second straight week.

Unfortunately, the poker gods, who fucking hate me if you have not already picked that up from reading the blog, had far, far different ideas for me last night. First, Nomad was becoming a prohibitive short stack, and thus when he open-pushed preflop for his last 2500 or so in chips from the button, I knew he would make that move with literally any two cards. So I called with my AJ and he flips....A5. I'm about to make just my second cash in the Hoy tournament. Until the 5 on the flop, no help and that's one better than 3-to-1 shot that I lost when my opponent was allin. Despite the beat, I manage to keep my cool (amazingly), and I steal a bunch of blinds and antes to at least tread water if not gain a bit more ground. Soon Nomad is once again a big shorty to the rest of us thanks to the aggressive blind and ante structure in the pokerstars tournaments, and not soon after I'm faced with a very similar situation to earlier: Zeem and Wes fold preflop, bringing the action to Nomad who again open-pushes his short stack allin. I look down to find KJo. It's not a fabulous hand, but heads-up against a known aggressive player with a push-with-anything sized stack, I thought it over and made the call, confident I was leading. This time Nomad flips....K7o.

So this time it's over, right? Not on your life. Again, a 7 flops, no help to me and now suddenly I'm the prohibitive short stack at the table. I still can't believe that happened, twice in less than five minutes, deep into the final table and on the bubble of this tournament that I've only cashed in once. The poker gods are just flipping unreal lately, I cannot believe the shizz I've had to endure at the virtual tables over the past several weeks, in particular in the blogger tournaments. I can honestly say that there is not one play I would have made differently than I did in any blogger tournament over the past month or two, and yet here I am, only having one or two blogger tournament victories to show for my last several weeks of play. It's unreal. Not one but two seriously dominating hands with my opponent allin, both losing to lucky flop cards, deep at the final table. Shit.

I will say that at this point, I tilt-called a preflop allin raise from Wes when I had A5 and knew from his needless reraise that he clearly had a pair or a higher Ace, but I was beyond disgusted after that second fuckoff and just figured F it. I then proceeded to hit the flop with my kicker myself and suck out on Wes's higher Ace. I should never have been anywhere near that situation to begin with, and would not have been if not for the two nearly back-to-back vicious, brutal 3-outer suckouts I was dealt on the bubble, so I make no apologies about my move there at all. I just want to announce that I would have made every one of these moves again, even last week's open-push with AJ from the button when short-stacked and with 4 players left. If you don't understand why that was clearly the correct move there, then you need to practice. And read. A lot.

So anyways, with this suckout I was suddenly in the chip lead, my first chip lead of the day, and now Zeem is the short stack. And that's when I see a flop with A6o, heads-up against Wes, and the flop comes J53 with two hearts. I've got an Ace and no reason to believe Wes hit this flop at all, I'm fairly sure my Ace is good here so I bet out the size of the pot. Wes thinks and reraises me allin with his large stack. I think it over. I know he doesn't have a pocket pair from the way he played this hand preflop. So unless I'm going to put him on some kind of strong Jack -- which I am most certainly not since the odds of that are much lower than the odds that Wes has nothing here -- then I figure I am leading now. So even though we're on the bubble, I am correctly playing to win the tournament (not just to cash), so I make the call on the assumption I am ahead. Wes flips over....82 of hearts. Just a flush draw and one overcard. Wes justified this play by saying in the chat "I'm pretty sure I was ahead there." Ha ha, uh huh. Nice call though, I think Wes's play was just fine, especially with the fold equity associated with my ability to fold this pot without seeing the turn and river cards. In making this perfectly acceptably good nlh move, Wes took a gamble that just happened to end up with him a roughly even-money shot to double up or let me back into the tourney.

And then he got what he needed, surprise surprise. A heart on the turn, and IGH in 4th place. Three brutal and unlikely cards on the board over the span of about 10 minutes to take me from chip leader to eliminated from the Hoy, bubble boy for the second straight week. It was utterly and completely disgusting, and that I think is an understatement. Ich. I still have a gross taste in my mouth this morning from that garbage. But what more can I do than get my money in as a significant favorite against the short stack's allin twice with dominating hands, and then again to double up to a large stack against Wes on a basically 50-50 shot against a flush draw plus an overcard on the flop? I don't think I could have played any better than I did last night in the MATH tournament, but it just wasn't my night.



Congratulations to Zeem for winning his first Mondays at the Hoy tournament in I believe his second cash in this event. Zeem played consistently well throughout, lurking around until making his move as we entered final table play, and making characterstically good decisions all along the way to gain and retain the chip lead nearing the end of the match. Wes gets the honors of second place after another solid performance, using his unique brand of highly aggro poker with solid reads and analysis, and Nomad1539 rounds out the list of this week's cashers in Mondays at the Hoy. I look forward to seeing you next week with more of the same (although hopefully less of me getting sucked out on recockulously).

I then ended the evening by tilting off a hundy or two at 8-16 razz. This also was not on bad play but rather on three huge hands where, in all three cases, I was clearly ahead on 4th and 5th streets, but could not hit a phucking draw to save my life on the night and I ended up getting rivered by my opponents on each of the three big pots. So in all, it was a really fun and productive night for me. Oh and then let's not forget getting woken up by you know who at around midnight and then again at around 2am. Blech. Looking forward to getting back to my winning ways tonight to erase the memory of last night, hopefully for good. If possible I will be in Wil's WWdN tournament at 8:30pm ET (password is "monkey as always), but if not you can look for me around my usual start time of 10pm-ish (ET), where I might look for some 25k action, some FTOPS satellite action, as well as some more action at the medium-limit razz tables to work off some more of that juicy $500 bonus full tilt still owes me. See you then!

8 Comments:

Blogger Wes said...

You must have been on life tilt or something because here's the hand history that sent you out.

POKERSTARS GAME #6925053567: TOURNAMENT #35106796, $20+$2 HOLD'EM NO LIMIT - LEVEL VIII (200/400) - 2006/11/07 - 00:08:12 (ET)
Table '35106796 1' 9-max Seat #6 is the button
Seat 6: nomad1539 (7858 in chips)
Seat 7: hoyazo (4639 in chips)
Seat 8: Boobie Lover (7750 in chips)
Seat 9: ZeemJr (6753 in chips)
nomad1539: posts the ante 25
hoyazo: posts the ante 25
Boobie Lover: posts the ante 25
ZeemJr: posts the ante 25
hoyazo: posts small blind 200
Boobie Lover: posts big blind 400
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to Boobie Lover [8h 2h]
ZeemJr: folds
nomad1539: folds
hoyazo: calls 200
Boobie Lover: checks
*** FLOP *** [Jh 5h 3s]
hoyazo: bets 900
Boobie Lover: raises 6425 to 7325 and is all-in
hoyazo: calls 3314 and is all-in
*** TURN *** [Jh 5h 3s] [7h]
*** RIVER *** [Jh 5h 3s 7h] [2s]
*** SHOW DOWN ***
hoyazo: shows [Ac 6c] (high card Ace)
Boobie Lover: shows [8h 2h] (a flush, Jack high)
hoyazo said, "ha ha"
Boobie Lover collected 9328 from pot
*** SUMMARY ***
Total pot 9328 | Rake 0
Board [Jh 5h 3s 7h 2s]
Seat 6: nomad1539 (button) folded before Flop (didn't bet)
Seat 7: hoyazo (small blind) showed [Ac 6c] and lost with high card Ace
Seat 8: Boobie Lover (big blind) showed [8h 2h] and won (9328) with a flush, Jack high
Seat 9: ZeemJr folded before Flop (didn't bet)


As you can see, you had no pair, nada. Ace high. I had a flush draw + live cards, which makes me a favorite. I was a little shocked when you instacalled me and I was ahead.

1:21 AM  
Blogger Hammer Player a.k.a Hoyazo said...

My bad Wes, I'm going to correct the post now. Thanks (I never review my hand histories the morning after). But I certainly don't mean to post any errors in what happened with the hands I played -- I think what happened to me last night speaks for itself.

Nice cash and well played throughout, as usual.

1:49 AM  
Blogger 23skidoo said...

Speaking of brain farts, it was Wes that crippled and then bounced me. JTsooted vs TT then KK vs AJo.

2:15 AM  
Blogger Hammer Player a.k.a Hoyazo said...

Oy details details. I fixed that reference too.

Now maybe you guys can see why I use all the screenshots to review my hands.

4:04 AM  
Blogger Matt said...

I read your blog pretty regularly, more so than others, and one day I'll probably donate some money to the MATH game.

But until then...when can we expect another Hot Hand post?

4:50 AM  
Blogger Hammer Player a.k.a Hoyazo said...

Matt, there should be another Hot Hand post coming this week. I have about a million hands saved up to review; it's just a question of getting the post up there and banging it out. Within a week, I promise.

You want Holdem this time? Or something else? I got tons of Razz, hilo, PLO, O8. You name it, I got 'em.

5:19 AM  
Blogger smokkee said...

i've gone from chip leader to bubble boy more times than i care to remember. hang in there.

8:00 AM  
Blogger Askinstoo said...

Hi, i was looking over your blog and didn't
quite find what I was looking for. I'm looking for
different ways to earn money... I did find this though...
a place where you can make some nice extra cash secret shopping.
I made over $900 last month having fun!
make extra money

3:06 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home