Wednesday, May 17, 2006

Coining a Phrase

This has come up in a few of my recent posts, but I want to make it official here for all to see in the blog:

The "Hoyazo": Noun

1. Moving all-in in a no-limit poker game, except for one single chip which you keep in your stack, either to play head games with your opponent and/or to enable you to continue to trash talk your opponent while he contemplates calling your allin bet. This is especially useful on pokerstars which is the only one of the major online poker sites that forbids any chat while any player at the table is all-in.

2. Putting your opponent all-in for all but one of his or her chips. Again this is typically done to get inside your opponent's head, and is best used when you do have in fact a nut hand, or very close to it.

Again, the common parlance would be to use "the Hoyazo" as follows:

1. "I pulled the Hoyazo on some fishdonk across the table from me last night."
or
2. "I did a Hoyazo last night and ended up leaving my heads-up opponent with just one chip against my 2999."

3. Also can sparingly be used as a verb: "Every time I Hoyazo that guy in a tournament, he quick-folds to my bet."

I, Hoyazo, hereby grant to you, reader/blogger/poker enthusiast, a non-exclusive, non-transferable, worldwide license to use the term "the Hoyazo", in noun or verb form, in any blog, blog comment, or any other poker-related medium or discussion.

FYI I plan to use the term at some point (hopefully multiple points) during tonight's WWdN. Hopefully I'll see you there as well. And make sure you don't let me Hoyazo you, which can be quite embarrassing in front of your ghey blogger friends.

7 Comments:

Blogger mookie99 said...

What is the proper pronunication of - hoyazo ?

2:02 AM  
Blogger Wes said...

I believe the proper pronunciation of hoyazo is as follows:

pôn'ed

2:07 AM  
Blogger smokkee said...

lol

2:40 AM  
Blogger Hammer Player a.k.a Hoyazo said...

Many people have asked me how to pronounce my screen name. Since I created the word, I get to decide how it's pronounced. And I say it is:

Hoy' - uh - zo (rhymes with "oh")

3:29 AM  
Blogger Guin said...

I thought that there was a term for leaving someone with their last chip... amboed or something like that... darn mind is losing info faster than I can shove crap in!

When I remember or someone else figures it out I will let you know.

3:56 AM  
Blogger SirFWALGMan said...

I have pre-Hoyazo Ejaculation issues. I mean to save one chip but I go too fast and forget.

4:21 AM  
Blogger iamhoff said...

Waffles, you should see a doctor or therapist about that.

3:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home