Friday, June 16, 2006

WSOP and WPBT In Vegas in July

OK. I've come back down to earth (a little bit) after winning my WSOP buyin on Thursday morning. Yesterday I found the one site on the entire internet that my work does not block ("Gambling and Games are filtered!") that would show me the WSOP schedule. I also went and read the WPBT July gathering information on April's blog in detail for the first time, since I was never really considering being able to go to the live WPBT get-together, as much as I would love to meet everyone in person. And I'm beginning to formulate a plan.

Wait, let me just take one step back for a second. Once the kids were asleep last night, the Hammer Wife mentioned the wsop schedule I had printed out on the desk, and I figured now was as good of a time as any to put in the half-pot bet on the flop, and see where I'm at with her. I let Hammer Wife know first and foremost that I do not in any way feel entitled to skip out of town for a few days to go be a degenerate gambler in Las Vegas while she stays home with our two young girls. You couldn't love anyone more than I love my daughters, but they are also a handful for one person to watch for two or three days straight. So I made sure that my wife knows that I know (is that Level 3 thinking or what?) how big of a sacrifice it would be for her, all for little old me to go and drop a lot of money on an event where by all rights my chances of success will be very, very low. I had spent much of the afternoon thinking of all the things I could offer my wife in exchange for being cool with me going out to Vegas and living one of my dreams and playing in the actual wsop, because I knew she wasn't going to love the idea.

Once again, Hammer Wife never ceases to amaze me. I barely got the first sentence out when she was like "Of course you're going, it's the World Series of Poker!" She reminded me of a conversation I had had with her right when I first heard about the ftp Bracelet Races in April, when I sat her down and really asked her, honestly, if she would be ok with me going to the WSOP if I won a seat. Hammer Wife responded very quickly with a "yes" then, and even though I don't think she really believed I would ever win a WSOP seat when she agreed that I could go, the same reasoning applied then as applies now in her mind -- it's the World Series, I've been talking about it and obsessed with it for years, and now I have a buyin to play there. I gotta go.

So that's it. I will be representing poker bloggers everywhere playing in one of the smaller buyin events at the 2006 WSOP!

Even though I thought convincing my wife that I should go would be difficult, and it wasn't. It turns out, that was the easy part. The hard part now is figuring out which event to play. For those of you who don't know:

This year's WSOP begins with Event #2 (the first public event) on Tuesday, June 27, which is a $1500 nlh tournament. Through Wednesday, July 26, there are 38 different WSOP events scheduled over a span of 29 calendar days, with buyins ranging from $1000 for the nlh tournament on Monday, July 10, to $50,000 for the brand new HORSE tournament to be played from July 12 - 14. Then after a couple of days off for the various satellites that proliferate the poker rooms immediately before The Big One, the 2006 WSOP Main Event kicks off with Day 1 from Friday July 28 to Monday July 31, culminating eventually in the final table and champion being crowned on Thursday, August 10. In between most of the days of the Main Event, there is also a $1500 nlh event for spectators, early bustouts from the Main Event, or anyone else who wants to play.

Basically, although I think I am proficient in games like Omaha and Razz, I would not play those games in the WSOP because they are not my best games, and my roll currently does not even consider permitting me to drop huge wads of cash in tournaments of games that are not my best. Of the WSOP options, there are three tournaments I could play in. There is regular nlh, probably my best overall game. There is pot-limit holdem, probably my second-best game. And there are the 6-max holdem games, something else in which my aggressive style tends to succeed in MTTs, and probably the most fun tournaments to play. Everything else will have to wait for another year.

Also, I have some vacations scheduled for this year which also impact my ability to play in a number of the WSOP events this summer. The entire July 1 - 4 weekend is out, as is a week near the end of July when I will also be away with family. I'm also going away over the weekend of August 5-6, during which time there are two juicy $1500 buyin events which also just happen to coincide with the Main Event thinning down from 600 to 150 players remaining. I know that would be a super fun time to be in Las Vegas, but again I have other plans that prevent me from doing so this year.

Lastly, I am already taking a whole lot of time off from work this summer, and while that will be ok, I simply can't just throw another 3 vacation days on there so I can go sling poker chips with people much better than me in Las Vegas. And since most of these events are 3 days long (and I plan to win, of course, so I'll be around all three days ha ha), that also really limits my ability to play in a Monday or Tuesday tournament, which would require me to miss basically a whole week of work and that is not a possibility right now.

So, all this leaves me with just a few options for me and the $1500 "WSOP buyin bucks" (as I like to call them) I won from ftp this week. Friday tournaments are going to be the best because I can work on Thursday, and get out there comfortably in time for a Friday noon PST tournament start. And even if I somehow manage to last until the final day of my event, that will be on Sunday, after which I can take a redeye home and still only miss the one day of work on Friday. Yes, I know, if I actually win the event I might not be able to make it out of Vegas on Sunday night in time for the last redeye. If I win $500,000 in this thing, I guess I'll just have to not give a shit about skipping out of work again on Monday. How do you like them apples? Heck I'll give my boss 5 grand in hundreds if I have to in that situation. So that's just not something I'm going to worry about.

So, my two best days would be Friday, July 7, when there is a $2500 buyin nlh tournament (Event #13), or Friday, July 14 for Event #22, a $2000 buyin nlh tournament. And this is where the WPBT gathering comes in.

I checked it out last night and it looks like the bloggers will be congregating in Las Vegas for the weekend of July 8-9. That just fits in too well with me playing in the $2500 buyin event on Friday, July 7. Yes, I only won $1500 in buyin bucks from FTP, but I won $500 cash as well in that package, and from my recent poker success I have enough in my roll to chip in the last 500 myself if need be. I've got a free room waiting for me out there whenever I need it, and the flights are reasonably cheap. So in all, I can buy in to the $2500 event, which I guess I would like to do.

So my question for all of you is: Which of you out there are going to be at the Vegas get-together on the weekend of July 8-9? I would love to know who is coming and who is not. Maybe April has a list somewhere on her blog. I didn't check last night and now I can't because for whatever reason April's blog is blocked by my work as a "Gambling" site. Even though its title clearly states that it is NOT a poker blog! Sheesh those Websense people are smart. Anyways who can tell me where I can find this information?

And more importantly, if you're one who is prone to comment on blogs, can you leave me a comment and let me know if you plan to be here that weekend? I am going to make my decision between that Friday or the following Friday (July 14th) probably by the end of the weekend. I just want to get a sense of who expects to be there and who does not.

Thanks!

13 Comments:

Blogger drewspop said...

Damn, now I really wish I planned my Vegas trip better. Sorry I won't be able to be there. Don and Carmen will be there I think ;)

You gotta go the first weekend man. Say hi to everyone for me while you are winning this thing ok?

My only question is, how are you going to do the screenshots?

9:54 PM  
Blogger CC said...

Trying to figure out if and when I'm headed out, still not entirely sure.

10:02 PM  
Blogger StB said...

April does have a list of who is attending on her site.

I will be out there for the WPBT Summer Classic and would be happy to sweat you in the tourney for a while. Did it last year for some of the guys and would like to do it again. It is amazing to walk into that big room and hear those chips clacking around.

10:23 PM  
Blogger StB said...

BTW, what happened to you in the 17k last night? Third one out?

10:24 PM  
Blogger Hammer Player a.k.a Hoyazo said...

Ha yeah StB, last night the 17k bit me in the ass, thanks for posting (and I think it was 4th out, not 3rd as I recall). I had 99 I think, someone else stayed in with what I was sure was just two high cards. Flop came all rags. I bet, he raised and I could just tell from how quick he acted that he in fact had only the two overs. So I reraised allin because my 9s were an overpair and I knew I was ahead. Then he fishcalled me with KQs on a raggy flop, and of course hit his friggin King on the river. Just sick, but it happens if you play these things enough. I noted him as a supreme fishcaller early in the tournament, and that's all I could do.

10:43 PM  
Blogger smokkee said...

dude,

i'm going to be in NC the week of July 3rd. but, we are flying back home Sat July 8th, connecting in Vegas at 11:15am. there's a good chance i might "miss" my connection and stay overnight Saturday and fly back Sunday. i already ran this idea by my GF and she's down if we can arrange for a flight back Sunday when we get to Vegas.

it will be a "gametime" decision tho. if we try to change our flight now, AmericaWest wants to reprice the whole trip bumping it up another $1200 LOL.

11:57 PM  
Blogger Hammer Player a.k.a Hoyazo said...

Smokkee, you gotta do that man! I mean, I hope it doesn't happen to you by accident, yeah.

Btw I have since found April's list of who is going in July. There's a lot of people on there that I'd like to see. But there are also a lot of people missing that I want to meet:

[March 22, 2004]
Who's Coming to the WPBT Summer Classic '06
Weak Player
Mrs. Weak Player
Adam
Alan
April H.
April
Ben
Chilly
BrentStacks
StatikKling
Biggestron
PokerGeek
Kori
CinciSean
Vegaas
KuroKitty
F-Train
SoxLover
Derek
Drew Pihera
DuggleBogey
Franklin
Garth
Gracie
Pablo
Gus
Maigrey
Iggy
The Spaceman
Mrs. Spaceman
brdweb
Helixx
Donkey Puncher
Human Head
Mrs. Head
Zeem
Joanne
Mr. Joanne
The Rooster
Beck
Falstaff
Slayre
Jorgen Johnson
PokerProf
Katitude
Kat
Facty
JoeSpeaker
Change100
Linda Geenen
Obie
LaParka
Mark Edwards
PokerGnome
Marty
Mourn
Easycure
Wardy35
Dr. Pauly
Phil
Columbo
Mrs. Columbo
Robb
Russ
Ryan
sloshr
Shane
phlyersphan
StB
Mr Subliminal
tp
Veneno
Edward
Michael Craig
David Wong
Miami Don
CarmenSinCity
80. Tuscaloosa Johnny

12:37 AM  
Blogger Iakaris aka I.A.K. said...

FWIW, I'm still working on it. Now that you're gonna be playing I'm even more motivated to rail it.

It's a math problem for me: imagine adding one more rugrat to your equation and subtracting one all-important WSOP buy-in =
much weaker bargaining position.

On the other hand, i have mentioned it enough times it may be developing a momentum of its own + she's pretty cool, so lets see...

Open question: for the blogger tourney, can you just show up at the last minute and buy-in? that's the only way its gonna work for me this year.

1:21 AM  
Blogger Guin said...

Hoy I am working on getting a company to back me being in that same event. Would love to drop the HOY on people with the hammer at the final table with you.

I also hope we can buy in late to the blogger tourney on the Saturday if (heaven forbid) we are somehow out early.

1:49 AM  
Blogger Fuel55 said...

Now you need to win a main event ticket dude. I will in town from the 20th of July onward. Try to be there!!!!!!!!!

3:23 AM  
Blogger Jules said...

First off, congratulations!! You'll have some serious blogger railing going on, either live or on line (Pauly better keep an eye on you!).

I'm there with Kat from the 6th to the 10th.

5:59 AM  
Blogger Pseudo_Doctor said...

hey hammer congrads on winning ur wsop buy gl luck man

11:07 AM  
Blogger SirFWALGMan said...

VENDETTA ON HOY! I swear I will take you out personally tonight.

You should have SEEN the hand I went out on. I had a made low vs K66 door cards on my opponent. Runner runner suckout land. ARG!

At least my Razz Tilt made me some money. 2/4NLHE is fun, you should try it. AAAND I did the Blogger table thang!

1:53 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home