Thursday, July 06, 2006

Sheer Excitement, But a WSOP Problem

This is it. The last post before I storm Sin City for the first time in I think 4 1/2 years. For those of you that don't know, there was a time in my life that I was making the quick jaunt out from the Northeast to Vegas 7 or 8 times a year. I stayed everywhere, and I stayed for free. I played blackjack and I played craps. I had many huge wins, and I had some huge losses as well. But in all I went to Vegas for the fun of it. I remember spending an entire afternoon blowing a mildly profitable morning by just riding and riding and riding the NYNY roller coaster with friends. I remember hanging out while we walked around the Red Rocks just a short ride off from the strip. I remember hiding from bicycle security guards in the MGM parking garage for something I was doing off in the corner of the place. Several times. I used to live it up the way one should in Las Vegas. And now I'm coming back.

You know what? I woke up this morning, and I felt great. Really great. I'm actually not going to let my recent bad streak at the virtual tables affect me one bit as I head out to Vegas for what will without a doubt be the biggest weekend of my poker life. Even if I donk out early chasing a stoopid draw or losing a race early (like I did last night in the Mookie), I will still be playing in the WSOP. The World Series of Poker. I still can't believe it, I really can't. Even still, my expectations are exceedingly low. I go into the event just hoping to last through the first day, which I will consider a major accomplishment. And I'm seriously looking forward to it.

Which brings me to my problem. As I have to work on Thursday, I am getting in to Vegas after midnight on Thursday night / Friday morning, the earliest I am able to make it in. The problem is that the Full Tilt hospitality suite where I have to pick up my $1500 "buyin bucks" credit closes for the night at 8pm, and doesn't reopen (idiotically) until 11:30am ET on Friday morning. This is just 30 minutes before the WSOP event begins at noon across the Rio. I called the Rio's WSOP office today and found out that they are scheduled to close registration for all the WSOP events 15 minutes before tournament start time. That means 11:45am.

Now let me ask you something. How can Full Tilt not open their suite any day until 11:30am when the WSOP events start at noon, just 30 minutes later? How can that possibly be the situation there? It makes no sense whatsoever. And the problem is that, as of right now, it looks like I may not be able to make it in time for the WSOP event on Friday after all, because of Full Tilt's redonkulous hospitality suite hours. I can't stand the thought of waiting in line all morning, running around and rushing, and even still it looks like I may not be able to play in the event. So I guess that remains to be seen. Does that suck ass or what? Is there anything I'm not thinking of?

10 Comments:

Blogger CC said...

You should be able to sneak in no problem, there were always folks milling around before then.

By the way, I'm offended that I used the hoy twice at the WSOP but never heard boo from you! The indignity of it all...

10:07 PM  
Blogger John G. Hartness said...

Dude - why not hit up one of the bloggers or other folks that are already there to pick up your buyin bucks for you and meet up with them Thursday night when you get in.

10:39 PM  
Blogger Hammer Player a.k.a Hoyazo said...

cc -- are you talking about the ftp suite, that i should be able to sneak in before 11:30am when they officially open? That would be great to know if I could do that.

11:46 PM  
Blogger drewspop said...

Figure it out dude. I want to read about you on Otis's blog (even if you are playing in FT gear).

Best of luck, forget the mind games you are playing with yourself. You are ready for this and you know you are a better player than a lot of these guys you will run into. Get it done.

12:00 AM  
Blogger Matt Silverthorn said...

I hope you get the buy-in thing worked out, man. I expect a big ass post when you get back, complete with screenshots! Don't ask me how, I'm not the poker genius here. YOU figure it out! :-)

12:34 AM  
Blogger smokkee said...

hoy, email support@fulltiltpoker.com there's gotta be sumthin they can do to get you registered for your event. you'll get in sumhow. GL

see ya there.

1:06 AM  
Blogger mookie99 said...

Thanks for playing last night, good luck in Vegas man. Can't wait to read how you dropped a Hoy on Hellmuth.

2:49 AM  
Blogger Blinders said...

If the suite opens at 11:30AM Eastern time, this is 8:30AM local time in Vegas. Tourney starts at 12 local time. I don't think you have a problem unless I am missing something. Anyway good luck in the tourney. I hope you make it to day 2 so you don't run my TAG ass over in the blogger tourney. Good luck.

5:23 AM  
Blogger Iakaris aka I.A.K. said...

Hoy,
I think this is a time zone issue, and you should have hours that morning to work it out. It may be a good thing that you're focused on something tangential like this and able to just slide into your bracelet quest. GL brotha, ya know we're all pulling for you strong.

P.S. Give cc the props! I laughed my ass off when he wrote about dropping a Hoy in the WSOP. Too good, too good.

10:55 AM  
Blogger CC said...

hoy, all the suites were open before, so I don't think there is a problem. I would try and get there around 10:30 or so as the bigger problem is the line at the cashier to buy-in.

8:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home