Friday, March 14, 2008

Another Fun Night, and the Bracelet Races are Back!

Thursday was an interesting day for me poker-wise. As you know if you read here with any regularity, my Thursday nights basically consist of anticipating Lost, watching Lost and then thinking about Lost. I am completely mesmerized by that show and although it is once again seemingly changing the entire direction of the show this year, they are once again pulling it off well. Anyways, so the plan as on most Lost Thursdays, is that I simply do not log on to the pc until 10pm ET or so after we catch up on the DVR at the end by starting it at 9:20 and then skipping through all the commercials.

This week I opted to do something just slightly different from that. Figuring that the buyin is a mere $11 in the face of a nice heater I am on here, and given that it is the BBT and all with the Tournament of Champions seat up for grabs, and since after all the Riverchasers is the tournament that I dominate above all others, I decided to play in the RC but adopt an unusual strategy. Since as I mentioned Hammer Wife and I don't usually start Lost up until around 20 past the hour on the DVR, I figured I would play a few hands of the RC when it starts, and just make sure that I either double up or bust out when it's time to watch Lost. If I doubled, then I could sit out the rest of the hour for Lost and then jump back in for Hour 2 in not too bad of shape. It's not the first time I've done this, and it has actually worked for me a few times over the past couple of years. This week, it did not. I ended up eating a late dinner with Hammer Wife and didn't even sit down to the Riverchasers until about 9:15pm ET. I maybe played 3 or 4 hands, just waiting for any two high cards to push with in the 5 minutes I knew I had to play, and ended up reraising allin preflop with A4o. Big Slick made the easy call and IGH. Them's the breaks, I knew what I was doing, and I noticed that the guy I donked my stack to did not end up winning the tournament despite briefly having the chip lead when down to two tables remaining.

And before I forget, congratulations so swimmom95 who took down this week's Riverchasers and the latest BBT3 Tournament of Champions seat. When I shut it down with around two tables remaining, Lucko was getting into position with a top-5 stack and I thought for sure he would be a force at the end, but of course no one is a match for swimmom in these things. So far the ToC is shaping up to have all kinds of different playing styles. Good times.

So I started my Thursday poker later than usual due to Lost, and, not feeling up to another late-night marathon mtt session, I ended up running a bunch of sitngos. Those $55 and $110 turbos that I've been loving for a while. My recent mtt success has made it very easy for me to focus primarily on the $110 level turbo sngs without fear of significantly depleting my roll, and I have to say so far I am definitely winning at this level. Most of the players simply do not understand strong turbo sng play, period. So I ran a bunch of sitngos, starting with a 6-max $55 turbo sng where the top two players win roughly $250 and $150 respectively. So we're down to three-handed and it was a pretty tight race between the three of us, making for some fun bubble play. I must have allin raised with ATC four times in a row from my small blind against the big bling, and after the fourth or fifth time he types in this:



"Next time you do that I am calling and taking you out."

Why? Why would you ever say this? I mean, does anything show total and complete tilt and just throwing up your hands and giving up than telling someone you will autocall them the next time they push on you? It's highlarious, and to a guy like me it makes my entire night better to even see him feeling and speaking this way. I love it. So I fugged with the guy back n forth for another minute or two in the chatbox, and on the very next small blind to me, I pick up this hand:



So of course I instapush again and type him some chat designed to belittle him further. And the pussy folds, even after proclaiming he would call and eliminate me the very next time I did this. I let him have it good. And then to make matters worse, on my very next small blind I pick up this hand:



I taunted him appropriately again in the chat before I pushed in here, and he instacalled me with?



Booom! Taunting and then getting the cards to back it up is one of the best feelings in poker. Especially when you're sitting at a table full of puds. Four hands later, I won the sng and the $217 or whatever it is. Later I would win a $110 9-person turbo sng outright for $495, I would fail to cash in two other sngs at the $55 and $110 level, and then I ended the night by defeating a guy in a $110 hu plo turbo sng. Good times, and total profit on the night from sngs: $478. I'll take it.

At some point near the end of the night, I even sat down at my old stomping grounds, the 2-4 6max nlh tables on full tilt for a little cash nlh action. First time I've played online cash nlh other than with bloggers since I rediscovered sitngos maybe 4 or 5 months ago. It was fun to crack back out the cash skillz for the first time in a long time, and I played one hand in particular that I would love your thoughts on.

So middle position at our 6-person 2-4 table limps in for $4. It folds back to me in the small blind, where I have KQo. I limp for the half-bet, and the big blind checks his option to bring us a 3-way flop. I checked, figuring someone else would be out and I could raise and take it down here or figure out if I am somehow beat. The big blind bets out $12, the size of the pot, and then the middle postion limper minraises him up to $24:



What do you do here?

I opted to smooth call. I reasoned I'm only beat by one or two specific hands, neither one of which is indicated by the 3-way limped pot preflop, but I was a little spooked by the bet, the raise and then the overcall behind my call on the flop.

Then the turn card came a harmless-looking 7:



Now how do you play it?

As you can see, I checked again. I just think given that I had already checked the first time around, it only made sense to check again here to not one but two players who had made aggressive moves on the flop. And here is what the big blind did:



Now what? Am I assuming I am ahead and just pushing here? Or do I know I will empty out on the river so maybe add a little deception by just check-calling here? Should I be worrying about being beaten? What's the best move, cash gamers?

I will post the results of this cash game hand later after some people have provided their comments.

Anyways, overall it was another good day on the poker front. I ended up a few hundy after all was said and done, and I had a really fun time doing it as well. I just keep trying to appreciate this good streak while it lasts. I mean even cash was fun for me, which is not something I would have said by the end of last year.

Oh one other thing, something that I consider to be Big News: the Bracelet Races are back on full tilt! That's right, the first Bracelet Races ran on Thursday afternoon, with already three winners of the 2k WSOP preliminary event prize packages. Although as I have mentioned previously the suspense is gone this year in that I easily have the roll to fund a trip to play a preliminary event or two in this year's WSOP, I still do plan to try to win as many of the Bracelet Races as I can. The first accessible tournament for me is a $216 buyin Bracelet Race that takes place Friday night at 9pm ET, same time as le donkament. I have won a $216 Bracelet Race satellite in each of the past two years, and generally speaking the larger-buyin BR sats are a great tournament structure for me, personally. So I'm looking forward to that, and I encourage each and every one of you to try to get yourself into as many of the Bracelet Race tournaments as you can play. If you love poker like I do, then once you've played at the actual World Series of Poker in the Rio you will never want to miss it again.

Have a great weekend everybody. Lost kicked ass again, did it not?

Labels: , , , , ,

10 Comments:

Blogger cmitch said...

It looks like you had a great 400nl table.

400NL hand
Flop - I would immediately assume mid-position player is a weak player since he has a shorter stack and open limped in a 6 max cash game. He could have any sort of hand even something like a weak suited King. Most of the time I am getting all my money in on this hand at some point. The unraised BB has ATC so weak Kings are definitely in his range. I would prob opt for a flat call on the flop, since at least one of the two players is likely to bet the turn, with the intention of throwing out a c/r on the turn.

Turn - I'm c/r-ing all-in. If he has K7 or K8, reload and move on. You can take AK out of his range because he would have raised with the pf. Depending on the player he would most likely have raised pf with 77 or 88. A lot of players can't fold any sort of King in this spot, so I shove and hope he has something like K9. He is folding if he was bluffing but is very likely to call with a worse hand.

9:55 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hoy,
at one point a month or so ago, weren't you putting together a lengthy sit n go post? What's the status?

10:30 PM  
Blogger BadBlood said...

400NL hand:

Based on the action - a lead out on the flop and then simply calling a min-raise that was overcalled leads me to believe the BB has a big 8, like A8. There aren't ANY draws on the flop to chase with a flat call there. If he has a King, he really has to re-raise given the action because both you and the other player have indicated a willingness to go further in this hand. He needs SOME information on your holdings and a flat call on that flop is not going to get it.

Because you simply called, he's not convinced you have a King either so he's confident in leading out again on the turn. His turn lead out is OK here, especially given the fold for MP. Your call should scare him unless of course he has that monster.

I guess I think you just calling here on the turn is fine too because a raise gets a good player to just fold if he has air or just the 8. If your impression that he's a donk and will call the push, then do it.

If he's decent, then I'd even check the river and let him 3-fire, because he could easily be drawing dead.

10:49 PM  
Blogger Eric a.k.a. Bone Daddy said...

Although I hate playing sucker sets (1 in the hole and 2 on the board) the way this was played pre flop leads me too to think he was something dominated by you, like ace 8 or K-9/10. Had the same though Mitch did, if he has it, then he has it and re-load, you are still live on the river even if he has 88 or k-8. full ring. raised pre-flop, i'm gone.

12:07 AM  
Blogger Eric a.k.a. Bone Daddy said...

Board: Kc Kd 8h 7d

Hand 0: 81.876% { KsQh }
Hand 1: 18.124% { 88, A8s, KJs-K8s, 87s, A8o, KJo-K8o, 87o }

anything you add to that range?

12:14 AM  
Blogger Eric a.k.a. Bone Daddy said...

OOPS, K-7 makes it 77 - 23.

My guess is you 3-bet around 180 - 190 and he folded.

12:16 AM  
Blogger Alan aka RecessRampage said...

I obv would never worry about being behind. If I am then so be it. I'll empty out and reload. The biggest question I'll be asking myself is how do I maximize the amount that I could get from my opponent. My guess is that opponent has the 8 or maybe a pocket pair like 99? There are plenty of donks that will stack off here. Best way to get more money in is probably to checkraise the turn and try to build the pot. As for amount to checkraise, I'd make it 3x his bet.

The reason I don't want to call the turn is that obv, the opponent could fire out the 3rd bullet but on the same token, you might just shut down the betting once he sees all the cards on the table. So, instead, even 2 outers = hope for some donkeys so you wanna get more money in on the turn when there's a chance that they could catch what they need.

I guess one other thing you can try occasionally would be to call the turn bet and lead out river but again, personally, my preference would be to checkraise the turn.

1:12 AM  
Blogger Gnome said...

There are lots of options here. My top two:
1) Lead out the flop. Few people lead with trips, and no one will believe you. What's more, you'll get paid off richly by the case King, and you'll get called by many 8s and mid-pocket pairs.
2) Check-raise all-in on the turn. You have to think you're still ahead, but I have visions of K8, K7, 77 and 88 running through my head. Still, I'd pull the trigger. Even if you are behind to those hands, you still have outs.

1:48 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I'd play it exactly like gnome.

I don't think you're behind here. My guess is he has K-J or K-10.

The reason I say that is his bet seems to cry "call" more than "get the F out," so he just might have the other K is what my guess is here.

However, had he raised pre-flop, I would check call and see what happened on the river. I've seen people lose more money with weak trips than any other hand but overpairs.
I think you have to go with this hand because it was not raised preflop however.

9:06 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

bookmakers

i think you fold after the turn....its quite a strange had really....

11:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home