Wednesday, February 03, 2010

L O S T

Just time for a quickie post today, but since an off-site work meeting prevented me from my regularly-scheduled posting on Tuesday I thought I would weigh in quickly today on last night's Lost season premiere. I enjoyed it, though as usual even here in the final season the show continues to introduce new ideas and new questions at least as much as it answers the old ones.

New questions I am now pondering after Tuesday night's Lost festivities:

1. Who is this Japanese guy? Where did he come from? And who are the others with them?

2. Really this should be question 1a: How did the nice stewardess from Flight 815 and all those kids get hooked up with the Japanese dude and his group?

3. What did Jacob's nemesis mean when he said "I want to go home". Does this mean he lives somewhere other than the island? Has he been exiled to the island? From where? For what reason? And what rules govern his being allowed to return from whence he came?

3a. Could Jacob's nemesis have been referring to going back to his own time, not his own place?

4. Why does Sayeed's death mean so much trouble for the followers of Jacob?

5. Who the F are these followers of Jacob anyways? Between Ilana and "standing in the shadow of the statue" crew, and the Japanese guy with the nerdy Weird Al-looking assistant, it is hard to keep track of everyone Jacob has working for him on the island at this point.

6. And lastly, but probably most significantly at this point in the story: Did the group's attempt to avoid The Incident at the Swan at the end of Season 5 work, or did it fail? So far they've shown us the Losties back on the island, and back on Flight 815 as if the whole crash never happened. What gives with that? Which is right, which is the true reality?

The early money is on the scenes back on the non-crashed Flight 815 are flash-forwards, to the final end of the story after the Losties, whose plan to avoid the Incident did not work, finally figure out a way during Season 6 to set everything right.

But then why go on with Charlie getting arrested, Kate escaping the bounty hunter, Jin and Sun continuing on with their sham relationship, and Jack losing his father's coffin?

Only time will tell.

Labels: ,

8 Comments:

Blogger Mike Maloney said...

1. I believe him to be the Other in charge of the Temple, nothing more. I think that all this time there have been Others living in the barracks, and also Others living in the Temple. What their purpose is at the Temple, I don't think we know yet.

2. Goat's been speculating on this for a while, and I'm starting to think he might be right, in that Cindy was always an Other (or Jacobian as he puts them), and was on that flight on purpose, similar to Ilana & Co. arriving on Ajira Flight 316. Even if she's not, she was shown as an integrated Other in Season 3, and so it's not surprise that she's at the Temple now with the kids.

3. I have no idea, it was a very intriguing statement to make.

4. I would guess that the piece of paper was a list with their names on it, and something about them needing to be alive. Since the list came from Jacob, that means it was important. From Jacob's perspective, I think he did all of this so that he would have a host body to take over (Sayid).

6. Again I'll refer to Goat's theory on the universe containing endless iterations of the timeline, with any number of choices and decisions happening in each one. In this case we are viewing a second possible iteration, in which the island is underwater, the plane lands in LAX, and everyone gets off. Perhaps, as the season goes on, we will see this timeline gradually correct itself so that it eventually converges with the original timeline that we know.

I have no idea if that's right, but it's at least plausible.

1:16 AM  
Blogger Julius_Goat said...

Agree with Maloney. One of them is not the "real" reality. They both are real. And there are more, many more.

That's how I see it anyway.

And yes, Cindy is and was most obviously an Other. There are tons of Jacob followers and Jacob haters living off-island. The Ajira flight was chock full of Jacob followers. Stands to reason that Oceanic would have had a few. Libby, too, almost certainly. Probably that other Tailie that Goodwin killed was a hater.

Christian Shephard just may have been one, too.

2:33 AM  
Blogger BigPirate said...

My first thought was that Hoy needs to read Goat because all is answered there.

The initial thing I though of when the nemesis stated he wanted to return home was Satan in Paradise Lost: An obvious choice, sure.

3:39 AM  
Blogger Hammer Player a.k.a Hoyazo said...

I don't think I've ever had the opportunity to say this about someone *else* before, but I am not sure I have the time to read all of Goat's verbiage on Lost!

4:23 AM  
Blogger Mike Maloney said...

I had to take a week off of work to get through it all.

4:25 AM  
Blogger Julius_Goat said...

I am still recovering my health from it.

I don't recommend reading it unless you have one of those NASA-approved "drive across the country in a rented car" adult diapers.

4:41 AM  
Blogger Hammer Player a.k.a Hoyazo said...

Oh ok I'm covered then to start reading right now!

5:09 AM  
Blogger BLAARGH! said...

The kids were taken in season one, they refer to it a couple times.

The japanese guy is probably from japan.

Sayeed's death would mean death to the shows ratings for 16 - 43 year old girls (and fey boys), as that hottie is the only reason they watch.

Jacob's followers are the people that follow Jacob.

The scenes on the non-crashed flight are from a remake of It's a Wonderful Life.

I hope this helps.

8:25 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home