Saturday, July 10, 2010

I Guess I Just Don't Get It

For the life of me I am still trying to figure out why LeBron thought that narrowing his choice down to five teams, then the free agency magical mystery tour coming through Akron and Cleveland, and then the one-hour televsion special on national tv to announce his decision, were all the right way to handle his free agency decision in the end.

I mean, the more people look into it, the more it is coming out that these three players actually made this decision two years ago if not more, starting when they all agreed apparently back in 2006 to make sure their current contracts all expired at the same time after the 2009-2010 season. Then in the Summer Olympics in 2008, each of Wade, Bosh and LBJ agreed to try to play together -- likely either in New York or Miami -- in 2010 when they had all designed their contracts such that they would be simultaneous free agents.

Then a few weeks ago came the report that the three met up recently in Miami to discuss the possibility of playing together on the Miami Heat. That report was denied, of course, but here we are. A few days ago then, Wade and Bosh announced that they would sign with the Heat.

Are you going to try to tell me that LeBron did not already know what team he was going to play for? I mean, I'm sure there are always contract contingencies to be worked out, but the biggest one of those is pretty much always the money, and in the NBA that is not likely to really be a big sticking point given the fairly lockstep salary structures for the top players.

So I ask again, if LeBron knew two years ago or more that he would be heading to the Knicks or the Heat to play with Dwayne Wade and Chris Bosh, then why did he stage this whole magic mystery free agency tour and include teams like the Nets, the Clippers, and even the Knicks at this point once he knew that team wasn't rich enough to sign all three players?

Wouldn't this just have been easier if he had just announced a month or two ago like a normal person that he has decided to sign with the Miami Heat for next season?

While I don't have much to question in LBJ's ultimate decision to join those two players in South Beach, I just can't shake the feeling that LeBron handled this whole thing in just about the worst, least intelligent and least strategic ways imaginable. Now, although they love him in South Beach, suddenly LeBron James is a largely hated figure in Cleveland and basically all through his home state, an amazingly in the three largest media markets in the country in New York (Knicks and Nets), L.A. (Clippers) and Chicago (Bulls) as well. Why do that to yourself?

Who is advising this kid on the decisions he is making?

Labels: , , ,

6 Comments:

Blogger Schaubs said...

World Wide Wes?

12:47 AM  
Blogger pokeroso said...

I recently bought a car. I’ve wanted the car for about a year now. I went to the dealership and test drove the car and discussed price. I was 98.9% sure I was gonna buy the car, then I went and looked at three similar cars just to make sure. I let all four salesman believe it was a toss up as to what I was going to select even though I was heavily leaning one way. Who knows what I could be offered. I suppose I had to see for myself what else was out there. It’s called due diligence.

3:31 AM  
Blogger lightning36 said...

pokeroso, the difference is that you are never going to see those other dealers again, so who cares, right? In reality, no one cares which dealer you chose and the affect on your life will be zilch. LeBron immediately went from good guy to bad guy in the minds of a great number of basketball and sports fans. He just torpedoed his "brand." What an idiot.

5:13 AM  
Blogger Hammer Player a.k.a Hoyazo said...

Yeah I don't know I would call LeBron an idiot necessarily, but the analogy to buying a new car is not at all an apt one. Obviously this is nothing like a simple run of the mill purchase by an individual in the private sector.

6:26 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I don't get his decision from his own legacy perspective. In my mind a true competitor wants to take the toughest challenge out there and then win the championship. Not hand pick a bunch of ringers to go win with. I can't ever see a Jordan or Bryant doing this. If they do win one in Miami (which may not be a lock b/c of the need for depth), it doesn't seem like it will mean as much.

8:33 AM  
Blogger l.e.s.ter said...

I like the New York Post's headline about LBJ being in town for Carmelo's wedding: "Welcome to New York, Jackass."

8:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home