Friday, July 08, 2011

Now That is a Horribad Call

From wsop.com:

7/7/2011 4:04:33 PM PST (about 1 hours and 21 minutes ago) Arieh Eliminated
Preflop action had left three players still in the hand, including Josh Arieh in the big blind. Together the trio had built a pot of 6,100.

The flop came Q64 rainbow, and the small blind checked. Arieh fired a bet of 2,400, then the player in late position raised all in for about 20,000. The small blind got out, and after tanking for a bit Arieh called the raise, committing his entire stack of about 19,000.

Arieh tabled AQo for top pair, but was behind his opponent's 64s. The turn was an 8and river an offsuit 2, and Arieh -- who finished third in the WSOP ME in 2004 -- hits the rail before the end of Level 2.


Wow. I mean, Josh Arieh is a guy who clearly is supposed to see himself as one of the skill guys in the tournament, that we know for sure. And here he is, calling off a raise of 10x his bet on the flop -- representing 190 big blinds at 50-100 -- with just TPTK. That simply makes no sense. What hand is he ahead of here? Seriously, who is pushing in 200 big blinds on a flop raise with KQ in this spot? In a raised pot no less. That's basically impossible. And on top of that, this is just about the dryest flop in the world -- in a raised pot, there's no way someone is semi-bluffing a draw here, so that raise is absolutely screaming "monster!" How Arieh goes down calling like this just over four hours in to the WSOP Main Event is beyond me. Odds are the guy is still tilted after losing a big chip lead late in the 50k buyin championship event the other day. That is just the kind of play that the predators in this thing are waiting for one of the fish at the table to screw up and make.

By the way, I'm just reading the live coverage that we are looking at just south of 900 runners on Day 1A of the WSOP Main Event. Building in for the usual growing crowds as we head into the later Day 1's, I'm thinking this looks more like a 5000-person field than last year's 7300+.

Labels: , , , , ,

6 Comments:

Blogger BLAARGH! said...

Seriously hoy, how are you claiming this a s a bad call if you know nothing of the history of the table? There are players I would make that call against all day and night and be ahead 95% of the time. The giant overbet certainly felt like weakness to Arieh - no way he was against trips there and 2 pr is extremely unlikely given the pf action and the board texture - he was most likely against a weaker Q. 64 is probably the last thing on Arieh's mind in a raised/reraised pf pot. The horribad call was the dude with 64 being in the pot to begin with if it got built up to 6100.

9:25 PM  
Blogger Hammer Player a.k.a Hoyazo said...

You don't need to know the table history to know that this call is not excusable given the timing and the structure of the event. Unless you're trying to tell me that Arieh literally watched this guy hugely overbet and then show down bluffs 18 or 19 hands in a row immediately preceding this one, it isn't even close.

8:45 PM  
Blogger BLAARGH! said...

And I still think, given the action he sees a weaker Q, JJ, TT, 99, 88 or 76s, A6, A4 type hand almost every single time. Arieh saw the donkey overbet shove as extreme weakness, and he was absolutely correct. 64 in that spot is not and extreme monster. He's vulnerable to just about anything that would call him. Plus Arieh's a target to begin with. I bet idiots shove on him constantly, just to say "I shoved on Arieh with the hammer!".
I'll say it again... the dude with the 64 is the huge donkey in this hand. He shouldn't have been in there given the pf action, and 99 times out of 100 is only getting called by better after his donkey shove. He's also folding just about every flop imaginable and spewing chips. I would have loved to see Arieh hit an A, Q or runner pair - lol.
I want to know who the other guy was. Guaranteed he was out by the end of the day.
Anyway - good to chat with ya Hoy... I miss the bloggie games.

11:50 PM  
Blogger BLAARGH! said...

And I still think, given the action he sees a weaker Q, JJ, TT, 99, 88 or 76s, A6, A4 type hand almost every single time. Arieh saw the donkey overbet shove as extreme weakness, and he was absolutely correct. 64 in that spot is not and extreme monster. He's vulnerable to just about anything that would call him. Plus Arieh's a target to begin with. I bet idiots shove on him constantly, just to say "I shoved on Arieh with the hammer!".
I'll say it again... the dude with the 64 is the huge donkey in this hand. He shouldn't have been in there given the pf action, and 99 times out of 100 is only getting called by better after his donkey shove. He's also folding just about every flop imaginable and spewing chips. I would have loved to see Arieh hit an A, Q or runner pair - lol.
I want to know who the other guy was. Guaranteed he was out by the end of the day.
Anyway - good to chat with ya Hoy... I miss the bloggie games.

11:50 PM  
Blogger Jessica said...

I would only consider a call there if the opponent was a total maniac. Otherwise I agree that it should be a fold. I played a similar hand at bwin poker not so long ago. That time I folded and my opponent showed A high...donkeys..

7:27 PM  
Blogger OnlinePokerJugar said...

Hello gentlemen,

Hows it going.
I take this opportunity to introduce myself, my name is Eric and I work with
a company website as a strategic consultant - Nice to meet you. As I'm looking for
for some reputable sites to exchange links, so I would you propose to exchange links with my 3-way sites.And I'm sure this change will be beneficial for both of us to increase our ranks and search engine optimization page .

I look forward to hearing from you soon.

Thanks for your time,
Eric.

3:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home