Friday, April 28, 2006

Mistreated at the Mook

Well I have good news and bad news. The good news is that I'm Back Baby!!! After three or four straight days of nothing but early-exit MTTs and donking off chips, I can say after Wednesday night's action that I seem to have righted the ship. I managed to restrain myself from betting too aggressively and especially from pushing hard with cripey 94o and T2o hands like I have been going out of tournaments on lately. I felt back to my normal self at the virtual felt tables, and I'm feeling quite sure that I've put this latest episode of donkery behind me.

Now for the bad news. Last night's Mookie tournament involved me getting abused. Not by another player, not even by a suckout per se, but really just by the cards in general. What I mean to say is that, in all seriousness, it was preordained from the moment we sat down to play that I would be crippling myself on hand #14 of the event. Period. There was no way whatsoever for me to avoid this from happening. Take a look at the action on hand #14:



You gotta love those Kings-against-Aces hands. Fuckin pokerstars.

I would be remiss though if I didn't show this hand that occurred about 10 hands later, as I struggled to hold on to my lousy 350 chips that I had left after the fuckage above:



I think I love the DQBs just as much as I hate the KK vs. AA hands (when I'm on the side of the Kings). But two hands later, I moved in my ultrashort stack with the sOOted Hammer, and I lost to QJo, out in 30th place out of 34 entrants. A pathetic showing, but not one I can beat myself up over at all. No way I'm folding KK preflop to an allin raise, from anyone in the Mookie tournament.

Later in the evening I played a 180 sng, in which I got all the way to 45th place before busting out, despite winning less than 10 hands in the entire tournament, and not a single big hand after doubling up on the first hand with a sweetass boat over boat beat. I didn't cash, but believe me when I say that the way I had been playing this week, I could never have made it to 45th place. I played it smart and I played it strong, and even though I didn't quite make it to where I want to be, I proved to myself that I'm back and ready to play the quality of poker that I demand of myself in order to have a realistic shot at big MTT money.

Tonight I'll probably be playing the usual MTT suspects: $5 turbo on pokerstars at 10:39pm ET, the 17k guarantee on fulltilt and the 40k guarantee on party. Maybe I'll see you there.

2 Comments:

Blogger Matt Silverthorn said...

I can't believe that QJo sucked out on your hammer! RIGGED!

8:00 PM  
Blogger Heavy Critters said...

Holy uber-post!!!

Nice work with the cards, especially on that final table at full tilt.

And Hoyazo, you truly play The Hammer like aces. Well played, sir. Well played.

1:27 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home