Friday, May 09, 2008

Health Scare, and Back and Better Than Ever

Wow. Thursday was one crazy whirlwind of a day. Sorry for no blog post, but I had a couple of weird health scares that more or less took over what I had planned to do on Thursday, which was work my first full day back in the office since coming down with mono a couple of weeks ago. On Wednesday I had been back at home again, in the morning reading to my older daughter's class at school. I chose "Harry the Dirty Dog" because it kicks ass and I remember my own parents reading it to me when I was a kid. Good stuff, the kid thinks I'm a hero because I read to her class for 30 minutes. Amazing, being a dad and all.

On Wednesday afternoon I had gone back to the doctor for another blood test. This was because, although most of my other mono symptoms -- not counting the fatigue -- had disappeared by late last week, some shit with my liver was fucked up per my last two blood tests, including the previous week when most of my other symptoms had improved or disappeared entirely. The doctors were puzzled by the liver reading, visibly puzzled. I mean they were downright goddam confused, right in front of my face. The furrowed brows, the quiet huddling together and whispering in the corner of the room, you could just tell. What a sorryass bunch of dicktors. Seriously. If you're puzzled about something you discover about a patient, don't fucking act confused right in front of them. That's what an asshole with absolutely no training in bedside manner would do. You really want to be that person? My lord. Anyways, so I was back in this week for another blood test, hoping to see the liver shit go down.

Wednesday night if you recall, I final tabled the Mookie. I ended up busting in 4th place despite once again having a big stack as the final table began. I've been playing awesome this week, I know I keep saying that, but Wednesday saw me get paid off in many different ways with a whole bunch of nice hands. I was dealt AA once -- resucking at the river on some mofo who flopped a set with 55 for my biggest pot in the early part of the tournament -- and KK probably 4 or 5 times, which believe me is unheard of for me. I also turned a couple of inside straights on the night and I believe flopped one or two sets myself. In all it was a far, far better than average night of cards, and I played 'em very well. But with so many premium starting hands it's not like I played so well, a lot of those cards just play themselves. But I didn't fuck anything up and I played a very solid night of poker overall in the tournament. So that ended around 1:15am ET for me, I stayed up and watched what was eventually won by heffmike who is another solid player to nab a BBT3 Tournament of Champions seat in recent weeks. At some point I fell asleep, feeling great, around 1:30am ET.

So I wake up on Thursday morning, ready to go to work and hopefully hear some good news from Wednesday's blood test. Only, when I wake up at 5:50am ET, my upper lip is blown up like a fucking balloon. And it's burning. And itching. The shit was inflamed big-time. I couldn't go to work, I looked like a fucking ogre. I spoke with a couple of doctors and they both confirmed that it is highly likely just an allergy, a bug bite or something like that that should have no relation to the whole mono and liver thing. But man was it fucked up. I have a lot of weird allergies so I'm not a total stranger to this sort of thing, but waking up looking like I had been punched in the mouth 100 times during the night is not exactly fun or funny if you know what I mean. Anyways, I was all kinds of freaked out.

Very long story short, by late afternoon the weird unexplained swelling in my upper lip had gone down substantially, and then I got a call from the dicktor. My liver bullshit was all good as of this week's blood test, right back down to normal. So, it's all good, once again I say it looks like I am going to make it. I will be back for follow-up in a couple of weeks, but there's just no reason to expect anything other than goodness from here, and I will just have to deal with this fatigue for another little while longer, probably several weeks. That sucks, but I'll take it. This week makes three straight weeks that I have fallen asleep before Lost begins on Thursday night. Me, the guy who's normally up to 1 or 2am every single night, and many nights I can't even make it past 9pm these days. Life is just too tiring right now.

Anyways I did see that another cool guy won a ToC seat in Riverchasers last night. I am blanking on who. Oh yeah right, it was OMGitsPokerFool, a good little nlh player who also has tremendous lucky streaks like a couple of months back when he won two late-night pushfests in a row by consistently sucking out with ridiculous cards allin preflop. Having been fast asleep in mono land, and since for some donkey reason pokerfool's blog is blocked by my websense, I have no idea how he managed to navigate through the always-tough Riverchasers field on Thursday, but I see that is the result. I believe I also saw that CK put in another nice cash in the middle of the final table, marking at least her second cash in a blogger "major" in the past few weeks, after never cashing before that time. How long before CK puts it together for her first major blonkament victory? Who knows....

So congrats to heffmike and to pokerfool for getting in to the ToC this week. Once again I point out that this thing has gotten much harder in the past two or three weeks, which obviously is not good for any of our chances individually. And yet I guess I am the only person who loves it. I want this thing to be tough as shit to win. With the amount of prizes that Al put together for this, I just think it shouldn't be me and a bunch of dead money luckboxes who only won their respective BBT3 tournaments by playing bad and getting lucky. What it should be is something that all the guys who win the most blonkaments are battling it out in. And it seems to be becoming more and more like that with almost every new BBT3 tournament won.

You know who I'm still waiting to see get in during the last month of the challenge? There are a few players whose demonstrated blogger tournament success seem to merit being part of this challenge. At the top of that list have got to be bayne and jeciimd, the winners of the previous two BBT challenges, with jec also going on to win the BBT2 Tournament of Champions and the 18k Aussie Millions prize packages. Those two guys really belong in the ToC I think, although of course they have to win their way in. I wish cracknaces would get in and play some more of the tournaments because his game is easily good enough to win one, but guys like he and Don and Iggy don't seem to be making the effort to play quite enough of the events to give themselves the best chance to get in. We still need some LJ action in the Tournament of Champions, that is something I am definitely expecting to happen this month. Speaking of guys I expect to win blonkaments this month, of course lucko probably adds a couple more to his already challenge-leading three victories. That guy is running hotter than any blogger has at any point in the past several years, that right there is a stone cold guarantee. Hopefully you've all kept up with lucko's blog over the past several weeks as he has won probably well more than 50k in poker tournaments is my guess, including a night earlier this week with I think over 14k in winning two major online tournaments in one night, and his biggest-ever poker score of some 21k in a live nlh tournament down in AC last weekend. Just incredible.

So yeah, I wanna see jec and bayne and LJ play their way into the ToC in the next few weeks. As I mentioned, ck has been making some noise lately in her still relatively short blonkament career, and everyone keeps telling me what great game she has, something I will get to decide for myself on officially out in Vegas in a few weeks. Julius Goat has now finished second twice I believe, including in this week's Mookie tournament, so he's someone you can't count out at this point. Guys like Fuel, Jordan and Gary Cox are also on the list of guys who seem to bust out with a major blonkament win every once in a while but who have not yet completed their run for the roses in the BBT3. By my count there are 12 more weekday BBT3 tournaments before the series ends at the end of May, and I think I recall there being one more Sunday night Big Game as wel, making a total of 13 more chances to win your way in to a coeveted BBT3 ToC seat. I hope everyone who wants in can make a final table in the next few weeks and get themselves into position for a big run to play for the big money on the night of June 7.

Don't forget the donkament tonight, Kat's weekly $1 rebuy extravaganza at 9pm ET on full tilt (password as always is "donkarama"). Unlike most weeks I am pretty sure I will not be able to make it tonight as I have been sleeping like a bitch in the evenings and since I will need to catch up on watching Lost after missing the live Thursday 10pm ET broadcast for the past three weeks running thanks to my sickness. But you should definitely be there for your weekly poker therapy, and I suppose one never knows if I might just make an appearance after all. Not really. But maybe.

Labels: , , , ,

8 Comments:

Blogger BWoP said...

Thanks, Hoy, but you might want to scratch me off that list. I'm leaving town next week and will be on the road til the 27th, so that leaves very little bloggerment time for me with everything else that needs to be done.

Now that I think about it, last night's Riverchasers was probably my last BBT3 event :-(

1:05 AM  
Blogger Hammer Player a.k.a Hoyazo said...

You'll be back, CK. You can't stay away.

1:49 AM  
Blogger jremotigue said...

Glad the liver is doing better. That shit can be pretty scary.

Harry the Dirty Dog rules.

And finally. No pics of the swollen lip? Dammit!

2:06 AM  
Blogger Mondogarage said...

Watch that bug bite shit, mang. I got bit in the forehead by a brown recluse a couple years ago, and didn't pay it enough mind for a couple days...almolst too late.

Anyway, keep feeling better.

Missing LOST? No big deal. Missing 30 Rock? That's a firing offense.

2:23 AM  
Blogger Hammer Player a.k.a Hoyazo said...

Mondo, 30 Rock is really an awesome show, I agree 100%.

But I have to say, I saw Tina Fey at a kids' fair this past Sunday in nyc and she looked so awful it almost cannot be described. I always thought of her as the hot, quirky chick, but dam did she look bad without the makeup and everything. She changed my opinion of her forever.

DP, sorry I did not take any pictures of the lip. It woulda made some pretty awesome blog content too. That is my bad. Next time I promise.

2:29 AM  
Blogger KajaPoker said...

Synopsis of Kaja's Comment:

1) Harry Rules!
2) Doctors go to school forever and don't know anything EVER!
3) Lucko is insane.

Feel better Hoy.

3:11 AM  
Blogger PokerFool said...

Thanks for comments :)

Not sure why my blog is blocked by websense. It probably has to do with poker being in the url (Are any other blogs with poker in url blocked, like pokercash, etc..?)

My company just installed websense, so I can't get to a lot of sites. They blocked all blogspot.com sites (And of course the obvious ones too like twoplustwo, etc...). Even yahoo mail and hotmail, dilbert.com, movie.yahoo.com. It flippin rediculous.

Thankfully google reader isn't blocked, so I get to still read all the blogs out there through that.

Cheers!

9:59 AM  
Blogger DonQuichot said...

Glad you're doing better now. I'd like to know a couple of things about your recaps Hoy! How do you manage all those screenshots? And what OS do you use now? Windows or Mac OS?
Thanks for the info and good luck in FTOPS #14 bro.

2:35 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home