Monday, July 28, 2008

Notice

I noticed it from the moment I woke up this morning. As usual my own personal alarm clock for the past nearly five years straight has been my daughter M. Literally my wife and I haven't set an alarm clock even once that I can recall since I think the very day she was born. Anyways, from the second that I first opened my eyes on Monday morning, from the very moment I first reached that tipping point between the fog of sleep and the dawn of recognition, I could tell something was different.

I think I first noticed the visual signs sometime during my morning shower. It's hard to pinpoint the exact difference, but I think it was mostly along the edges of random objects. A little shine on the corner here, a glint on an edge there, that sort of thing. When I saw myself in the mirror for the first time after I stepped out of the shower, I thought I looked a little different too. It's like I was seeing clearer or something, more in focus than I had before. Definitely something like that.

The symptoms only grew as the morning wore on. On the subway, my balance was impeccable, like I was sharing a purpose with the train or something. When people spoke, I was hearing nuances to the sounds that I had never noticed before, hidden intonations I never knew were there underneath. As I walked towards my office building in midtown Manhattan, the normal city smells of coffee, cigarettes and the occasional garbage truck wafted through me at levels of intensity I could not recall. Approaching my building entrance, I remember remarking to myself that I could barely feel my legs moving or even touching the ground at all. I floated from street to street, intersection to intersection, as much a part of the rat race as ever, and yet somehow feeling for the first time in a long time apart from it. Above it even.

As I boarded the elevator up to my office, I thought to myself that this is one of those mornings that is kinda like the Matrix: you really can't describe it, you just have to experience it for yourself. Words cannot describe the feeling on a day like this, all the little ways that things look, smell and just seem different thanks to the richness of a new perspective.

Ten minutes ago, I left my boss's office after giving him my notice that I will be leaving his employ.

My boss is so cute. He sincerely believes management is going to come up with a bunch of cash and promises sufficient to get me to stay. Sadly, my company is more likely to need money from me these days than it is to have any money to give me.

So in the immortal words of George Kostanza, "I'm out, baby!!!"

And it feels sooooo good.

Labels: , , ,

23 Comments:

Blogger Mondogarage said...

So is it time to become a 5/10 grinder at Foxwoods?

Good luck, may you find these interesting times...

8:47 PM  
Blogger Astin said...

About freakin' time!

Congrats and good luck on whatever you're doing next.

8:51 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congrats.

GL moving forward.

10:53 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

CONGRATS!!!!!!

May you have all the joys in the world and find whatever you need on the path that you walk!

IT

11:56 PM  
Blogger CEMfromMD said...

Congratulations. Good luck to whatever is next for you!!

11:56 PM  
Blogger l.e.s.ter said...

red pill. RED PILL!

12:12 AM  
Blogger on_thg said...

obligatory BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM

Congrats and gl w whatever you decide to do next.

12:14 AM  
Blogger OES said...

Congrats Hoyt!!!

With all your Costanza quotes, maybe your next job can be an importer/exporter working for the coveted Vandelay Industries.

12:58 AM  
Blogger Fuel55 said...

Well done sir.

12:58 AM  
Blogger Irongirl01 said...

sounds like you had a true moment of clarity. Good luck on your new path.

1:22 AM  
Blogger PokahDave said...

....and then I woke up from a dream!
D'oh!

2:48 AM  
Blogger OhCaptain said...

Congrats sir. I'm looking forward to reading the next chapter.

3:05 AM  
Blogger Shrike said...

Way to go.

3:19 AM  
Blogger VinNay said...

Every time a poker-blogging lawyer quits their job an angel gets his wings.....

Congrats man.

3:26 AM  
Blogger Matt said...

Best of luck Hoy. Enjoy your newfound freedom.

4:33 AM  
Blogger BWoP said...

Welcome to the club!

4:43 AM  
Blogger Esquire80 said...

What are you going to do now???

You got another job lined up???

5:06 AM  
Blogger Evy said...

Today was the first day of the rest of your life.

Congrats!

8:59 AM  
Blogger Micah Seymour said...

Good luck Hoy. To quote another Seinfeld moment, "It's go time!"

10:14 PM  
Blogger Julius_Goat said...

I guess I'll pile in last as usual to say:

glglglglglglgl, and good for you.

11:09 PM  
Blogger Schaubs said...

I don't get it.

Quitting is gay.

12:04 AM  
Blogger KajaPoker said...

what a feeling, right? GL man!

11:17 PM  
Blogger Jordan said...

maybe you weren't supposed to quit your job. Maybe you are just spiderman.

10:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home