Tuesday, March 03, 2009

What's the Big Deal?

By the way, Hammer Wife and I went and saw Slumdog Millionaire this past weekend after it swept through the Oscars. I have just one question for you:

What's the big fucking deal? It was a decent movie. The story was good enough. I would give it a solid 7 out of 10 on the scale.

But not even a 7.5. Just a 7. I mean, the acting was fine, but nothing special. I wouldn't even remotely consider giving anyone an award for their acting in this film. The love story was there, but it was not very compelling to me. The plot, the juxtaposition of the game show and the slumdog's life, was interesting, interesting enough to make this a good movie. But like most movies these days, it was too long, and not much in it was great, certainly not Oscar worthy.

I ask again, what's the big deal with Slumdog Millionaire?

Labels: ,

7 Comments:

Blogger BWoP said...

I'm with you on this one. I went to see it as part of the "what Jews do on Christmas" festivities.

I thought it was okay. Didn't really get into the love story part of it (that's just me), but I thought some of it was different enough to be interesting.

1:55 PM  
Blogger Julius_Goat said...

Word is it's Hollywood hoping that Bollywood will do more business with them.

That said, since when was winning best picture any guarantee of transcendent excellence? It happens sometimes, but also Gladiator and A Beautiful Mind and Crash and Forrest Gump and The English Patient happen. Oscar has a long proud tradition of elevating pleasant mediocrities, and so I suspect it is with Slumdog.

6:49 PM  
Blogger 4dbirds said...

Don't forget Titanic!!

10:11 PM  
Blogger Chad C said...

Clearly it was a business move on Hollywood's part.... Now instead of answering tech support calls they can import actors to work for $5/hr. Even Ironman (a comic book movie for crying out loud) was better than Slumdog IMO!

12:42 AM  
Blogger PokahDave said...

What Julius_Goat and Chad said....all spot on.....

1:38 AM  
Blogger PokahDave said...

What Julius_Goat and Chad said....all spot on.....

1:39 AM  
Blogger jjok said...

Racist....haha

6:42 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home