Wednesday, July 08, 2009

Baseball Predictions Revisited

With the major league baseball all-star game rapidly approaching and with most teams now right around the halfway point of the 162-game season, the time is here to take a look at how my early-season MLB predictions are faring thus far. In this post back on Monday, April 13, I predicted over/unders for each team in the major leagues, using the Vegas over/under line as a starting point for each. Below I have reproduced my prediction for each team (omitting the discussion for each team from my earlier post, which you can read by clicking the link above if you so choose), as well as how many wins they have right now / how many wins they are on pace for this season. Let's see how close I am looking so far.

*****************

Boston Red Sox. My prediction: Under 94.5. Actual record so far: 50-33. On pace for: 97 wins. So far I am losing this one.

New York Yankees. My prediction: Under 94.5. Actual record so far: 49-34. On pace for: 95 wins. This one is gonna come right down to the wire, but the Yanks have fared somewhat better than I thought. Another loss so far.

Chicago Cubs. My prediction: Ever so slightly over 92.5. Actual record so far: 41-40. On pace for: 83 wins. Another loser so far, and this one isn't even close.

New York Mets. My prediction: Over 89. Actual record so far: 39-43. On pace for: 76 wins. I'm batting .000 so far.

Tampa Bay Rays. My prediction: Under 89. Actual record so far: 45-39. On pace for: 86 wins. My first winner so far.

Philadelphia Phillies. My prediction: Under 88. Actual record so far: 43-38. On pace for: 86 wins. Two wins in a row.

Los Angeles Angels. My prediction: Under 87.5. Actual record so far: 46-36. On pace for: 90 wins. Another loser.

Arizona Diamondbacks. My prediction: Under 86. Actual record so far: 35-49. On pace for: 68 wins. This one looks in the bag.

Cleveland Indians. My prediction: Under 85.5. Actual record so far: 33-51. On pace for: 66 wins. Bag it.

Los Angeles Dodgers. My prediction: Over 85. Actual record so far: 53-30. On pace for: 103 wins. That's another win for me, and brings me back to .500 at 5-5 so far through the top 10 predicted teams. Let's see if I can keep the streak going here.

Atlanta Braves. My prediction: Under 84.5. Actual record so far: 40-43. On pace for: 78 wins. That's another winner through the midway point.

St Louis Cardinals. My prediction: Over 83.5. Actual record so far: 46-39. On pace for: 88 wins. Another winner.

Minnesota Twins. My prediction: Over 83. Actual record so far: 43-41. On pace for: 83 wins. This is a push so far.

Oakland Athletics. My prediction: Under 82. Actual record so far: 35-47. On pace for: 69 wins. Right on.

Milwaukee Brewers. My prediction: Under 81.5. Actual record so far: 43-40. On pace for: 84 wins. That's a miss.

Detroit Tigers. My prediction: Over 81.5. Actual record so far: 45-38. On pace for: 88 wins. Winnah!

San Francisco Giants. My prediction: Under 79. Actual record so far: 46-37. On pace for: 90 wins. Miss.

Cincinnati Reds. My prediction: Under 78.5. Actual record so far: 41-41. On pace for: 81 wins. Another miss.

Toronto Blue Jays. My prediction: Over 77.5. Actual record so far: 43-42. On pace for: 82 wins. Another win thus far.

Chicago White Sox. My prediction: Over 77.5. Actual record so far: 43-40. On pace for: 84 wins. Win.

Kansas City Royals. My prediction: Under 77. Actual record so far: 36-47. On pace for: 70 wins. Another win.

Colorado Rockies. My prediction: Under 76.5. Actual record so far: 44-39. On pace for: 86 wins. Loss.

Florida Marlins. My prediction: Over 75.5. Actual record so far: 43-42. On pace for: 82 wins. Nice.

Texas Rangers. My prediction: Over 74.5. Actual record so far: 46-36. On pace for: 91 wins. Easy win there.

Seattle Mariners. My prediction: Over 73. Actual record so far: 43-40. On pace for: 84 wins. Another win.

Baltimore Orioles. My prediction: Under 72.5. Actual record so far: 37-47. On pace for: 71 wins. This one also will be coming down to the wire in the second half, but so far it's another win.

Washington Nationals. My prediction: Under 72.5. Actual record so far: 24-57. On pace for: 48 wins. Yeeesh. I'll take the win though.

Houston Astros. My prediction: Over 72.5. Actual record so far: 40-42. On pace for: 79 wins. Winner.

San Diego Padres. My prediction: Under 71. Actual record so far: 35-48. On pace for: 68 wins. Yes!!

Pittsburgh Pirates. My prediction: Over 69. Actual record so far: 38-46. On pace for: 73 wins. Bag it!

Overall, I am looking pretty good so far with these predictions here at the halfway point, despite starting off weak with some of the predicted top teams in the league. My overall record thus far is 20-9, with one additional push working so far with the Twins. Why didn't I bet some of these futures before the season began again?

Labels: , , , ,

2 Comments:

Blogger OES said...

first time you ever categorized the Phillies like every other team in the MLB. not your usual title. =(

3:12 AM  
Blogger Riggstad said...

Yeah Cuz! What happened to "World Fucking Champions"!!?!?!?!?

9:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home