Saturday, December 01, 2007

What Exactly Is This Guy Calling With?

So I'm playing one of these turbo $55 sng's. on full tilt. We're probably about 20 or 25 hands in, and the action folds around to me in the small blind. I open raise with ATo, I think an absolutely automatic play in any turbo sng structure. The big blind smooth calls. I then check the flop when I make TPTK, inducing the bluff I knew was coming as you basically have to do in these 1-table turbos when you call a preflop "steal-raise" like that. My opponent obliges and bets 320 into the 480-chip pot, and I follow through with my planned check-raise, opting to just push it allin rather than try to get cute with the bet amounts:



My opponent surpsies me by calling:



Now I repeat the title of this post: What exactly is this guy calling with? Did he really think his King-high was good? Maybe it was the strength of his kicker? What is he hoping to see hit the board after calling me in this spot?








Oh ok. That's what. My bad.

Cheesus Christopher people.

Labels: , , ,

14 Comments:

Blogger Chad C said...

The best part about this post is that you genuinely seem surprised!

2:21 PM  
Blogger AnguilA said...

That is one funny hand. I wonder if the guy had a hunch that a runner runner flush was coming...lol!

8:17 PM  
Blogger Hammer Player a.k.a Hoyazo said...

The thing is, we've all gotten crushed many many times by runner runner. But at least in my experience, it usually happens after someone called with something, some kind of a hand, and ended up being behind. Like you have a medium pocket pair on a raggy flop, and someone calls you with AK unimproved and then runner runner straights you. But to get runnerrunnered after this particular call really bugs the shit out of me for some reason.

K2 unimproved? That is a new one for me.

8:43 PM  
Blogger Alan aka RecessRampage said...

Could it be that he is 12?

I saw you in the 28k last night around the time you busted out. Man, it does look like you're running bad. You'll get through it though... just frustrating, I'm sure.

9:10 PM  
Blogger Hammer Player a.k.a Hoyazo said...

I know Alan, did that suck or what in the 28k last night?

Don't worry, I crushed the sngs and had another solidly profitable night overall. But the 28k bit anus.

9:14 PM  
Blogger Julius_Goat said...

Having played SNGs almost exclusively since September, I can honestly say this is standard play. Before you showed us the K2, I was thinking "It's ATC, and he'll call with it."

I have no explanation. I've seen guys call all-in that in four way action with 86 offsuit, unimproved.

On the river.

9:45 PM  
Blogger KajaPoker said...

He was drawing to one pair. I love those idiots. And to what Goat says, I concur. I have been playing a bunch of turbos (not $55) but you see the most ridiculous calls. And these idiots get rewarded. The awful thing about is that you see this live too. I can't explain it.

And I loved your post yesterday about the luckboxery. pure gold, Hoy!

10:05 PM  
Blogger TripJax said...

What are you talking about? Back door flush draws are gold.

11:13 PM  
Blogger smokkee said...

i thought i'd have a look at that clown's sharkscope stats for a good laugh. but, they're "disabled". apparently, so are yours.

why would someone do this? if your sharkscope stats are good, players may give you more respect at the table.

3:49 AM  
Blogger Lewis Cash said...

Pretty funny stuff. I wonder if he was making one of those videos for You Tube were he is trying to show what an ass he his and calls off with nothing. But in a $55 one?!? I always assumed those video were made while playing $1 tourneys!

6:51 AM  
Blogger post said...

Ill be hosting my weekly ThePokerGrind.net Bounty Tournament sunday night at 10pm EST , on Full Tilt , password is thepokergrind , its $20+2, i hope to see you there

4:40 AM  
Blogger lucko said...

Outplayed.

12:09 PM  
Blogger lightning36 said...

Wow - if people make calls like this at the $55 SNG's, I'm gonna have to try a few. This looks more like a $2 SNG play. Unbelievable.

10:57 PM  
Blogger SirFWALGMan said...

haha. That has got to help your tilt.

11:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home