Monday, January 21, 2008

Holiday Monday Post

Well ok so maybe it's only a holiday for some of you out there, but for me the stock market is closed and the bond market is closed as well, and that means no work for Mr. Hoy today. I'll take it, with the shit that's been going on at my job over the past several months, what a flipping joke. I am quite sure I'll have some more good stuff to say about that once my situation at this place clears up a little bit one way or the other, but suffice it to say that for now I am going to enjoy my day off and won't have much of substance to say here today either. I will be back on Tuesday with my regularly scheduled poker content and pomposity here, don't doubt it for a second.

So let me just say that I declare Miami Don the big winner from Sunday night's blonkament action overall, as he outright won the marathon super stack HORSE Skillz Series tournament along with a 3rd-place finish in his own Big Game as well. We had decent field sizes for both tournaments which is great, and although Don, myself and I think swimmom each final tabled both events, Don was the only one who cashed in both and for that I declare him the overall winner on the night. Vinnay took down the Big Game after playing what I would describe as a very loose style, making a number of dubious calls, although in reality I understand that there was a 3-way chop for the Big Game title between Don, Vinnay and Chad, so congrats to all three of them on that front. I got naked-flush-drawn out of the Big Game near the beginning of the final table along the way in a spot where I would have been in great position if my 2-to-1 hand had held, but I'm not complaining, I've had some reasonable luck of late in the blonkaments and that's the kind of hand that needs to hold up in order to win these things. But most importantly for me, I played well, and even better, I had a good time which is after all the point with thee things to begin with isn't it? Even playing blonkey HORSE proved to be fun times, and once again buddydank radio was going strong with what I think was probably its best show of the year, other than maybe that one night of public drunkenness that is going to be hard to top. But the guest hosts were awesome on the whole, the spook commentary was funny as shit, and best of all, there was a lot of poker being discussed which is all good IMO.

And speaking of blogger tournaments, don't forget tonight!



Monday night, holiday or otherwise, 10pm ET on full tilt, password as always is "hammer". The MATH is on for tonight, once again going 6-max nlh up on your asses. We've had a good time in what has proven to be a very fast-moving tournament over the pat few weeks since the perma-switch to shorthanded tables, so please come on out tonight if you're online and looking to donk it up in some aggressive no-limit holdem and some fun times to boot.

That's all for today. Everyone enjoy your holiday (hopefully you have one) and best of luck at the tables.

Labels: , ,

10 Comments:

Blogger VinNay said...

1) Look a your hand histories before posting nonsense. I wasn't even in the hand you describe me knocking you out of the tourney in. And on top of it, it wasn't even a "dubious call" as you say, he pushed, you raised for a tiny bit more. Is he supposed to lay down $1500 into $15,000?

Seat 1: VinNay (34,581)
Seat 2: sellthekids (13,389)
Seat 3: bayne_s (11,173)
Seat 4: chitwood (12,757)
Seat 5: hoyazo (7,880)
Seat 6: swimmom95 (21,667)
Seat 7: cracknaces (7,883)
Seat 8: cemfredmd (6,585)
Seat 9: MiamiDon (9,085)
VinNay antes 50
sellthekids antes 50
bayne_s antes 50
chitwood antes 50
hoyazo antes 50
swimmom95 antes 50
cracknaces antes 50
cemfredmd antes 50
MiamiDon antes 50
chitwood posts the small blind of 250
hoyazo posts the big blind of 500
The button is in seat #3
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to VinNay [3s Jh]
swimmom95 folds
cracknaces folds
cemfredmd folds
MiamiDon folds
VinNay folds
sellthekids folds
bayne_s folds
chitwood calls 250
hoyazo raises to 1,950
chitwood calls 1,450
*** FLOP *** [Th Kh 7d]
chitwood bets 4,350
hoyazo raises to 5,880, and is all in
chitwood calls 1,530
hoyazo shows [Qd Qh]
chitwood shows [Ah 6h]
*** TURN *** [Th Kh 7d] [2h]
*** RIVER *** [Th Kh 7d 2h] [6d]
hoyazo shows a pair of Queens
chitwood shows a flush, Ace high
chitwood wins the pot (16,110) with a flush, Ace high
hoyazo stands up
*** SUMMARY ***
Total pot 16,110 | Rake 0

2)I did play aggro at times, but my overall $VPIP was around 18%. A bit high for my normal tight play, but with a big stack, I had room to push people around and take some chances. I did make a few dubious calls, I admit, but not one of them involved you.

1:32 AM  
Blogger Hammer Player a.k.a Hoyazo said...

OK so I got the identity wrong of the person who sucked out the flush draw on me.

I will stick with everything else substantive in my post. I know it's hard for people for some reason, but I am entitled to my own opinion about how people play poker.

Please, I beg you poker clowns, do not read here if you can't handle hearing my opinions of people's poker play. You just get yourselves all worked up and a bunch of people laugh at your anger to boot.

1:54 AM  
Blogger CEMfromMD said...

Hoy, I actually join the three of you in final tabling both events, I just managed to donk out of both in 8th place, so I guess that is some type of symmetry or something.

2:18 AM  
Blogger VinNay said...

I'm not angry, or worked up, and I'm not begrudging you your opinion.

I also agree that I played looser than normal last night, I wouldn't say I played a "very loose" game, but that just my opinion.

But I do think you might be doing yourself a disservice. By posting your thoughts without going back and looking at hand histories, you might be reinforcing opinions you have that are based on false facts.

I don't see how that can help playing people in the future in getting better reads on them.

It's your blog, so do what you want, I always enjoy reading it.

GL tonight, I'll be sure to bing my super loose 15% $VPIP to the MATH this evening. Just to be clear - that was a joke, not anger.

2:20 AM  
Blogger Hammer Player a.k.a Hoyazo said...

cem, you played well and yeah you had a similar ending to me in the end. Sometimes the shit just doesn't go your way and in a tournament there is very little you can do about it.

Well played.

2:20 AM  
Blogger Hammer Player a.k.a Hoyazo said...

Vinnay, thanks for your advice. I will consider checking hh's more often before I post my thoughts.

Hope to see you tonight in the MATH.

2:23 AM  
Blogger Chad C said...

HOY has to be the most hated!! I love this shit!

3:55 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hoy,
On the hand I busted you on, I definitely got lucky, but looking at it, I'm fairly satisfied with the way I played it. That said, I'd love to get some constructive criticism on the hand.

My though process was I wanted to play that hand, but I knew if I raised, you were capable of shoving ATC, and I couldn't stand that much of a reraise. If I limped, I still felt you could/would raise almost anything, and depending on the size, I could still go ahead with the hand. Maybe the call was loose, but given the range I gave you, I'm not sure.

Once the flop comes, I think shoving is the play. I still can't put you on a hand--I thought I could be ahead, or if you just caught a little, you had enough chips to be able to make the laydown. Plus, the nut flush draw gave me outs. Anyway, that was my thoughts, but I'd love to get your or anyone else's opinion on my thought process, because I am a pure amateur trying to improve. Thanks

Greg

5:56 AM  
Blogger Hammer Player a.k.a Hoyazo said...

Greg, to be clear I was not complaining one bit in my post about your play in the hand, merely stating that I was sucked out on in a big spot.

In general I don't usually call preflop raises with Ace-rag. But that's just me, and I know well enough to expect that most blonkeys will call a stealy-lookin raise from me with Ax sooooted. Just the way it is at this point and I expect (and welcome) that.

On the flop, I can see your point about liking the push, but given my preflop raise and your drawing hand after the flop, I am not apt to commit most of my chips with nothing yet, not when I had raised preflop. But again I understand your thinking, you are putting me on a naked steal attempt and under those circumstances I might have pushed too.

As usual, my complain is about how the hand shook out in terms of results, not anyone's play up to that point.

Looking forward to mixing it up again tonight in the Hoy.

6:30 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for the feedback, hoy, your comments make sense. Oh to pat my back a little, I final tabled both last night as well, getting 5th and 6th. Yeah, no $. To continue the frustrating night, lost a 60/40 in my first attempt at the fifty/fifty and won 75 whole dollars. Lots of tourney time last night for little return, but still fun.

7:25 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home