Monday, February 27, 2006

A Straight-Up Bad Beat Story

Felicia, Stop Reading This Now!!! This is nothing more than a bad beat post. No commentary, no complaining, just the facts of the beat, ma'am.

Last night, I'm playing in the 25k guaranteed tournament on ftp. I'm doing great too -- I've outlasted about 2/3 of the original players, and I'm maybe 100 or so spots from the money and in about 30th percentile of the remaining players. I am very satisfied with my performance thus far. Then I am dealt AKo in middle position. Long story short, I get allin preflop with some other guy who moved in on me when he was holding AKo as well. The board comes with four suited cards to his King, and he beats my "identical" hand with a stupid runnerrunnerrunnerrunner flush. That is just wrong.

Very next hand, I am now crippled and among the bottom 10 or 20 players remaining in the tournament. But at least I am dealt AA immediatley following that beat, and I'm thrilled to receive not one not two but FIVE callers of my allin bet with the rockets. So I'm actually in decent shape to get back into contention. When we flip, the best hand out there of the five "players" who called me is AQo. Long story short, some zobo who called with A-10 suited flushes on me on the river, cracking my rockets and IGHN. Just like that.

Fucking SICK.

4 Comments:

Blogger Matt Silverthorn said...

That first one is horrible. However, that second one is not nearly as bad as you think. When you're heads up against someone, AA is usually around a 75% favorite, higher if they are dominated. However, against five random hands, I think your percent to win is only around 50%, maybe lower. That last one isn't nearly as bad as you think it is. Doesn't mean it doesn't suck, though. I feel for ya.

11:54 PM  
Blogger Hammer Player a.k.a Hoyazo said...

You're right, Matt, but coming as it did Immediately on the heels of the first beat, I definitely felt like it added to the overall experience of the badbeattage. But you're right, Aces are definitely less and less of a favorite the more hands come in with you. But losing on two flushes like that in two straight hands where I was the favorite going in, it was a ridick way to end that tournament for me.

1:00 AM  
Blogger SirFWALGMan said...

"But at least I am dealt AA immediatley following that beat, and I'm thrilled to receive not one not two but FIVE callers of my allin bet with the rockets."

Yeah, with 1-2 callers sure.. but you had no chance with 5 callers. Ok, you had some chance, but you do not want to be hoping for this.

1:25 AM  
Blogger Hammer Player a.k.a Hoyazo said...

I do think you guys are missing the point with my AA hand. Believe me, having been severely short stacked by the redickubeat prior to the AA hand, when I got the Aces, my primary goal actually WAS to get as many callers as possible. Yes it decreases the odds of me winning that hand, but two important points: (1) I'm still the favorite in the hand over any other 2-card hand, period. I know it is less of a favorite than if I had just one other opponent, but it's not like I'm not the favored hand. And more importantly, (2)being as short stacked as I was at that point, my only real objective was to quintuple-up as quickly as possible, and that AA hand gave me just the opportunity to do that. In all, I really *was* thrilled to get 5 callers in that situation with my Aces. Just my two cents, but I REALLY needed a big chip-up in order to remain relevant at all in the tournament at that point.

5:23 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home