Friday, December 14, 2007

Dorkwork 2, Hoyazo 0

Well guys what can I say. I set up google documents to let me post to the blog straight from there, but when I got into work today, I loaded google up, only to find that I once again am blocked from accessing google documents at work. Fucking incredible. "Personal storage and web messaging" my ass. I'm trying to figure out why these people are such fucking dorks, and I really cannot come up with any good answer. But to not let people access anything that remotely resembles fun or interesting material from the workplace, including inadvertently blocking me off from sites that I want to do purely work-related research on from time to time, it just smacks to me of the kind of over-regulation that really burns me up.

I mean, I am all about my work not wanting me to use what I freely understand are their assets for my amusement. But don't those people realize that if people want to surf the web and their work pc's don't allow them to, then the people who care are just going to figure out another way around the system? With the proliferation of web devices and PDAs already available, people will still just find alternate means of getting done what they want to get done. Plus, as it is, I end up cluttering up my work email servers with the personal emails that I need to send and receive during the day, since they won't let me access any web-based email services or similar websites.

And most of all, and this is something that I feel pretty strongly about, isn't there something to be said for people actually being more productive if you let them have a little bit of fun at work? Like I mentioned the other day here, it's not like I'm saying I should be able to check out a little bit of child pr0n during the day or anything. Or any pr0n for that matter. But why not allow me to view CardPlayer.com? I'm not saying I should be able to download full tilt onto my work computer and sit there playing online poker like some people. But not to even be able to read about an online poker site? Place a comment or two on my favorite non-work-related and non-inappropriate blog? Read a little about my favorite sporting event? Is that really so terrible for them to permit? I can only speak for myself in the end, but I know beyond a shadow of a doubt for me that I am more productive when I have a little bit of freedom to relax during my down time, do an online crossword puzzle during lunch, and maybe even view one of Iggy's famous youtube clips when I have a free moment. Is that really so wrong?

So all this leaves me with one great option, something I've actually wanted to get for a long time anyways but have just been putting off because it costs approximately $85,000 to buy, but which I will finally be taking care of this weekend.

It's Treo time.

See you Monday for our regularly scheduled poker post, everyone. Thanks for bearing with me through these most trying of times.

Labels: ,

9 Comments:

Blogger Chad C said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

11:13 PM  
Blogger Chad C said...

So let me get this straight, you are going to buy a device JUST so you can post every day? You are the most dedicated blogger ever! How about you cut your posts down to 10% of what you usually do, that should only take an hour or so right?

11:14 PM  
Blogger Blinders said...

I don't know a ton about the Treo, but I would recommend an iphone. This from a guy who never had a cell until a few months ago. With an iphone you can go to any site and do anything online. Not sure if thats true for a treo. It's the exact same internet on an iphone, not a stripped down or cumbersome version. You could go to blogger and post directly there with an iphone anytime, anywhere. Cost can't be much different. Plus with everything else the iphone comes with, its an easy decision IMO.

Good luck with your work issues. This sucks!

11:54 PM  
Blogger SirFWALGMan said...

A HTTP-Tunnel may work better. :). It is a software program that allows you to tunnel to another computer which then surfs the sites for you. It all happens in the background but usually they can shoot right by the firewall.

12:18 AM  
Blogger KajaPoker said...

Just use the e-mail option in blogger to post. If your dorkwork won't let you send mail to the blogger domain just set up a yahoo account that forwards to blogger. Very simple and easy to use. No screenshots or anything fancy but you don't get that with a Treo either.

And if you want a wireless device get the iPhone. KajaWife has one and the browser is awesome. Treos suck.

Or get an aircard for your laptop and connect that way without the dorkwork network.

1:22 AM  
Blogger KajaPoker said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

1:22 AM  
Blogger bayne_s said...

Shall I check with my company IT guy to see if he can arrange an account for you and allow you to remote connect and post?

1:37 AM  
Blogger PokerFool said...

One thing that I used to do when I worked at a place that blocked a lot of sites it to do this (This really well for message boards like twoplustwo).

You go to google. Click on language tools. Type in your website you want to go to in the "Translate a web page" field. Leave the drop down menu as "Spanish to english" and click the translate button. And presto. surf and read away.

You may not be able to post, but you can read other posts, which was always good enough for me.

I used to do this with Ultima Online message boards when I was addicted to that. :)

3:50 AM  
Blogger jmathewson_III said...

I use kproxy.com

you can access almost anything through this proxy by typing an address anything.kproxy.com

then enter web page into dialogue box to be transfred to the desired site.

and anything can be any characters you desire so you can change it if they catch on to one

5:47 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home